We are so pleased to share with you the UPDATED 2019 edition of the popular $10aDay Child Care Plan. This plan for a public system of integrated early care and learning was first launched in 2011. Developed through wide consultation across BC and based on research and evidence, the Plan is the concrete, do-able solution to BC’s child care chaos.
As of today, the $10aDay Plan has the support of 51 local governments, 31 school districts, community organizations, unions, businesses and individuals representing more than 2 million British Columbians. Support continues to grow at www.10aday.ca.
The release of the 2019 edition of the $10aDay Plan comes at a historic time. Government is beginning to implement key elements of the Plan as it builds the child care system BC needs. The 2019 edition integrates these emerging successes, lessons and challenges.
Our core message remains consistent – fees must be affordable for families at no more than $10 a day, there must be enough quality licensed spaces to meet the diverse needs of families across BC, and educators must be paid fairly for their important work.
In this edition we highlight that government should:
- Move child care to the Ministry of Education
- Create a child care capital budget to build new publicly owned child care facilities in partnership with school districts, local governments, and non-profits.
- Accelerate the expansion of Universal $10 a day Child Care Prototype Sites, ensuring they serve all regions of the province
- Accelerate the wage enhancements it provides to ECEs and develop and implement a provincial wage grid
- Ensure that the Fee Reduction Initiative grows at a rapid rate so that fees come down for all families in licensed programs, thus reducing the need for subsidies
- Increase ECE educational opportunities and access to public post-secondary institutions
We look forward to continuing opportunities to build support for the $10aDay Plan in every region of the province - and for the Plan to assist government as it builds a public quality affordable child care system to benefit children, families, women’s equality, and BC’s economy.
Read and download the 2019 edition of the $10aDay Plan here: www.10aday.ca/the_plan